I know some of you are already rolling your eyes and saying we haven’t even had Thanksgiving yet! This is true but last week I got in the mail my first magazine decked out with a Christmas tree. Style at Home was making me sing falalalala. That paired with the Sears Wish Book that my youngest has had under her pillow for weeks now and the decorations filling the big box stores makes me think we are rapidly approaching the holiday season.
In my family home we have a couple rules/ traditions surrounding Christmas.
1. Christmas music starts Nov.1 unless you are rehearsing for a Christmas music production which my hubby normally is. We however ask him kindly to wear ear buds because he starts in September.
2. The only Christmas decoration that can adorn the house before Nov.11 is a wreath on the front door. Remembrance day is important to us. Both my grandfathers served in WW2 and I like to show as much respect as possible.
3. The first weekend after Nov.11 is pull out all the boxes weekend and get organized. If the children are helping we can normally get about four or five trees assembled and fluffed. Through out the next could weeks any spare time is put towards decorating the ten trees of varying themes. My favourite tree is always the one that houses my black angel collection.
4. We try every year to have one big party for friends to come by and hang out but the best get together is reserved for family. Every year we host a family brunch on Christmas day. We serve Belgian Waffles with strawberries & whip cream, bacon, sausages, ham, hash browns, cheese strata, fruit platters and of course a sweets platter.
5. One of our favourite family traditions is attending a candle light Christmas Eve service. This is not really a rule but a dare not miss on the list of Christmas fun
6. Lastly, as much as we all love Christmas we strive to have Christmas all packed up by January 7th. I tend to leave outside decorations up but inside the trees are packed up and the house goes thru that stage where it feels a bit empty and sad.
I can barely wait to get started on all the Christmas fun!